Site Care And Handyman/Woman
RSPCA is in need of skilled volunteers to assist with and/or coordinate the maintenance and improvement of the shelter and site.
This rewarding volunteer role would suit any applicants that wish to spend their spare time giving back to the local community, enjoy the outdoors and are handy with a hammer and nails or have a green finger.
This position can vary in the type of work required. Jobs can include anything from repairing animal kennels, putting up shelves, weeding, planting, regular upkeep of lawn and gardens. Due to the time required to induct and supervise volunteers, and so that our animal care experts can focus on what they do best, we require a volunteer who can commit to doing approx. 4 hours per fortnight for a minimum of 3 months.
- Substantial skills and experience in building/construction/fixing/fencing/maintenance
- Available a minimum of half day per fortnight or one day per month (ideally more)
- Able to commit to 3-6 months, to ensure continuity of plans
- For a coordination role, experienced at planning projects, including writing up a list of materials required, approximate costs, designating tasks, planning timelines and checking that things are happening
- For a coordination role, you should be a people person, able to engage with volunteers, staff and suppliers to help get tasks achieved
When can I volunteer? – This shift is available any day of the week, once you have attended an induction and briefing session.
What you get in return:
- Contact with a variety of domestic animals including dogs, cats, puppies, kittens and occasionally more exotic pets
- Great opportunity to learn about the care and health requirements of domestic animals
- Time to play and interact with the animals in your care
- Opportunity to gain new skills and learn about the animal care industry
- Helping animals in a way that the people with animal skills aren’t as good at!
- Be part of a fun, engaged, passionate team
- When it gets hot and you need a break, unlimited kitten cuddles to make the hard work worth it!